[Samba] Problem with Sharp AR-286 PCL Printer

Bob Boehmer bob.boehmer at verizon.net
Fri Feb 21 14:17:40 GMT 2003

I am having a problem getting the PCL driver for the Sharp AR-286 working.
This is an LPD network printer. I created a queue on our Redhat Samba server
using the raw driver. The windows drivers uploaded to the Samba server
without a problem. But whenever I try to print anything to the printer it
comes out garbled.

I installed the postscript drivers for the same printer without any problem
and they seem to work fine. (We would just use the postscript driver but
unfortunately some of our drawings overflow the printer's memory when
printed using the postscript driver.)

I have also installed a PCL driver for an HP JetDirect network printer and
that is working fine.

We are running Redhat 8, Samba 2.2.7.

"sharppcl" is the printer in question. The print, lpq and lprm commands are
overridden because we use the same printer queue for both the postscript and
the PCL printer. The problem occurs if we have unique queues for both and
also if we eliminate the postscript driver altogether.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Pertinent smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from tcsa2 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/02/20 17:51:22

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = TCSA2
        netbios name = TCSARH1
        server string = TCSA Samba
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        username map = /etc/samba/usermap.txt
        admin log = Yes
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        domain admin group = root, at wheel,boehmer
        logon script = %U-%a.bat
        logon path =
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins server = 192.168.2.10
        printer admin = @ntadmin,boehmer
        hosts allow = 192.168.2. , 192.168.1.
        printing = lprng

[print$]
        comment = NT print share
        path = /usr/share/samba/printers
        write list = @ntadmin, root
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775
        guest ok = Yes

[monet]
        comment = HP 8550DN Printer
        path = /tmp
        printable = Yes

[sharp]
        comment = Sharp AR-286 Postscript Printer
        path = /tmp
        printable = Yes

[sharppcl]
        comment = Sharp AR-286 PCL Printer