[Samba] cupsaddsmb - why the heck can't I get rpcclient-addprinter to work?

Brian Johnson bjohnson at jecinc.on.ca
Fri Feb 21 04:16:15 GMT 2003

cups-1.1.14-15.2
samba-2.2.7-1.7.3

Educate me please ...
man rpcclient shows:
setdriver <printername> <drivername> - Execute a SetPrinter() command
         to  update  the  printer driver associated with an installed printer.
         The printer driver must already be correctly installed on  the  print
         server.

         See  also  the  enumprinters and enumdrivers commands for obtaining a
         list of of installed printers and drivers.

This sounds like the printer must already be installed - how is that done if not via
addprinter?

Currently, if I use enumprinters and enumdrivers (without a level setting), I get a
listing of installed drivers and installed printers.  If I run setdriver for each of
the printer/driver pairs, will it work?  I just did it but don't have a windows
client to test it against until tomorrow (I'm connected remotely via a ssh terminal)