[Samba] 2.2.7a slowness on AIX 5.1-ML03

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Fri Feb 21 02:05:17 GMT 2003

I have an open PMR with IBM regarding a slowness issue when more than 450
smbds are trying to login and download roaming profiles.

The system is a 6H1 with 6 RS64-III 668MHz cpus and 6 GB memory w/Gb
ethernet. We have over 10,000 student accounts with roaming profiles and
800 XP-SP1 workstations for them to choose from.

I've compiled 2.2.7a in 64 bit and 32 bit modes. Run it on both the 32 bit
and 64 bit kernels. IBM has determined that the smbds (from the snap
data) seem to be working until a certain threshold and then can't seem to
get any work done and is unrelated to any resource issues. They have
actually rubber stamped my tunings saying "they're right on the line".

It's so wierd, I thought for sure it must be IBM's problem. But they
insist the system is waiting to service the smbd's if they can just tell
the system what to do.

I'm going to get a log level 10 when this occurs again on Monday as we do
not have sufficient load on Friday (EST).

What I do know is this. We implemented 2.2.5 last semester 32 bit compile
and 32 bit kernel. We've had as many as 650 smbds (equates to active
workstations) without so much as a peep from our students.

Now that we're at 2.2.7a, any one of the possible 4 compile/kernel size
combinations yields the same results. I am using the IBM Visual Age C
compiler version 5.0.2.6.

This symptom is about 40-50% kernel with 40-50% idle. It's as though
something is waiting on an event that can't be seen because of all the
other people waiting to be serviced.

I have no oplocks whatsoever turned on and am using no special features.

Although I do not have complete log information, is there anything you all
could think of that would attribute to this?

I've attached my smb.conf for review.

I know that we were at 2.2.6/7 for a brief period last semester, but
problems with 98 machines and software on samba shares (which i posted
here) caused unresolved illegal operation errors and forced me back to
2.2.5. I still have one DC using 2.2.5 as it serves software to 98 boxes
and they do not like 2.2.6/7/7a at all... :(

I can only assume that some how these are related....

I'm going to gather lots of traces, but I'll need to know who to give them
to.

I'll do the 98 traces and the XP trace against 2.2.7a.

I'm being long winded....I know....

Thanks!

Bill