[Samba] Re: domain users in local groups with Winbind/Samba/Redhat

David Boynton david.boynton2 at asu.edu
Thu Feb 20 21:22:36 GMT 2003

Yeah, I never actually tried out the idea before posting it.  Sorry! :(

My problem is, my server is in an NT 4 resource domain and I can't create
domain global groups with members from account domains in it.  I can only do
that with domain local groups, which Winbind doesn't appear to see.  I gave
thought to hacking Winbind to return domain local groups in the group list,
but then I figured they must have omitted that feature for a reason...

Dave

On Thursday 20 February 2003 08:43 am, Chris de Vidal wrote:
> --- Matthias Rutzki <mrutzki at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the group members still can not access
> > the shares.
>
> I'm sorry, I'd tested this some time back and should
> have told you.  Winbind doesn't appear to obey local
> group membership for domain users on the Samba box.
>
> We worked around this by creating an NT global group
> and added members to that.  Then we chgrp all files
> and directories, then chmod g+rw on all files and
> directories, then chmod g+xs all directories like so:
> chgrp -R G_servername /path/to/share
> chmod -R g+rw /path/to/share
> find /path/to/share -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chgrp
> g+xs

[snip]