[Samba] Re: Need solution to Printers window access denied, unableto connect message.

Ronald Ronald at wssource.com
Thu Feb 20 18:13:35 GMT 2003

To All,
           I had this same problem and did the use client driver = yes. but
the thing is now it takes a while to load up the properties of the printer.
it used to load up right away and now its takes about 5-10 secs. anyone know
why that is?
also i see this in the logs
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client

          Ronnie

Ronald at wssource.com

                Thank you

"Stephen Carville" <stephen at totalflood.com> wrote in message
news:200302192002.02520.stephen at totalflood.com...
I had the same problem after upgrading to 2.2.7.  You have to add:

use client driver = yes

Either globally or for the individual printer share.

Read the section on the above in the man page for smb.conf for an
explanation.

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 07:35 pm, Tim Kubricht wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I hope this is the right list to submit this request to
>
>       I have the following problem with samba 2.2.2 that I upgraded
> samba 2.2.7 to try to see if the problem
>       would go away. But I still have the following problem:
>
>           When I open the Start->Settings->Printers window
>           It shows the printers that I have connected to from the
samba
> print server  printer_name on samba_ip_address
>           It shows <opening>  at 1st then changes to <access denied,
unable
> to connect>
>           and never shows the ready message that I used to get from
a samba
> 1.9.15p8 server that I updated.
>
>           * Can someone help me to get rid of the access denied
messages
> from the Printers window?
>
>       The following is what I have:
>
>              My OS is Solaris 8 my PCs are either WinNT4 or Win2000
>              I have set up smb.conf as you can see below
>              With it I can use dos to run net view and it works as
expected
>              I can open Network Neighborhood and find my samba print
server
> and it will list all the printer shares
>              along with the Printers folder. If I double click the
Printers
> folder:
>              I can get a list of all the printers and the number of
> documents that are currently being printed on each
>              printer and If I double-click on a specific printer I
can get
> the name of the job and person that is printing
>              on the queue.   This works as expected.  I did not see
this
> error in any of the Archives or the troubleshooting
>              section that I found or in any of the 3 books I have.
I need
> your expertise in solving this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

>     smb.conf:# Samba config file created using SWAT
>              # Date: 2003/02/19 10:54:34
>
>              # Global parameters
>              [global]
>                  workgroup = Name_Of_My_Workgroup
>                  server string = Samba %v on %h
>                  security = SERVER
>                  encrypt passwords = Yes
>                  map to guest = Bad User        <-- used and not
used this
> option
>                  password server = #PDC-Address# #BDC-Address#
>                  username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/username.map
>                  log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.samba
>                  max log size = 50
>                  printcap name = /etc/samba-printcap
>                  os level = 10
>                  preferred master = False
>                  local master = No
>                  domain master = False
>                  dns proxy = No
>                  wins server = #Primary-WINs-Address#
>                  guest account = ftp     <-- local acct & I also
tried lp
> account
>                  hosts allow = ###.###. ###.###. 127.   ###=2
subnets at my
> site
>                  printing = bsd
>
>              [printers]
>                  comment = All Printers
>                  path = /var/spool/pc-spool     <-- priv=rwxrwxrwt
owner=lp
>                  read only = No
>                  guest ok = Yes
>                  printable = Yes