[Samba] Samba PDC + Win98se Printing Problem

itdamager at cox.net itdamager at cox.net
Thu Feb 20 17:55:37 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a Samba PDC (2.2.7) and a win98se workstation using user-level access control.

The win98 pc has 2 shares, a directory and a printer. The shares on the workstation are setup with full control for "Domain Users". I can list the shares (smbclient -L //pcname) and can connect to the shared directory, list files, etc. However if I try to connect to the printer, I get this error message:

# smbclient //greg/hp -U test
added interface ip=10.0.0.3 bcast=10.0.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 10.0.0.111 ( 10.0.0.111 )
Password:
tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvdevice (Invalid device - printer request made to non-printer connection or  non-printer request made to printer connection.)

Anyone know what I've done wrong? I know I do not have a "Domain Users" group on my PDC, but I read in the docs that all valid samba users are mapped to this group (Besides, the directory share works fine). I've also tried adding the explicit username (test) on the pc too, same error.

My smb.conf is below.

Thanks,

Greg

[global]
        workgroup = ASH
        netbios name = TITAN
        server string =
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        ; setting the following to cups kills pdf-generator
        printcap name = lpstat
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path =
        logon drive = Z:
        logon home = \\titan\%u
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        admin users = root
        printer admin = root
        printing = cups

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        browseable = No

[homes]
        read only = No
        hide unreadable = Yes
        browseable = No

[files]
        comment = Shared files
        path = /home/data/files
        read only = No
        inherit permissions = Yes
        hide unreadable = Yes
        vfs object = /usr/lib/samba/vfs/recycle.so
        vfs options = /etc/samba/recycle.conf

[printer$]
; I know this is the old way - it's there until I figure out how to add the pdf generator to CUPS
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = root

[pdf-generator]
        comment = PDF Generator
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        printing = bsd
        print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u \\\\\\\\%L\\\\%u %m %I &
        printer driver = PDF Generator
        printer driver location = \\%h\PRINTER$\adobeps