[Samba] Is Samba made for trash?!? Newp.

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 16:40:18 GMT 2003

To answer the root question (people have been
answering your symptoms), no, Samba is not trash.

Like you, we needed to migrate from NetWare.  We had a
serious problem with an undocumented oplock issue
(search marc.theaimsgroup.com, for "How samba let us
down"): oplocks corrupt very large flat database files
which are being accessed by multiple clients.  We
almost dropped Samba for good and went to NT but
couldn't get the replacement NT server up in time.  By
then, we discovered that if we disabled all oplocks,
we got no more corruption.  It's a good thing we got
it working in Samba, because apparently this is also a
problem in NT.

That Samba file server has been incredibly stable,
serving terabytes of data to almost 100 clients.
We've seen no file corruption since that day.  You'll
find many admins who agree with me - Samba rocks!

But Samba can be sensitive to network problems, so
please accept the possibility that your network might
have hidden problems.  Check for collisions, bad
wires, line noise, mismatched duplex settings, etc.
Start at the physical layer and work upwards.

Good luck,
/dev/idal