[Samba] explorer.exe crashing at login

Sam Hart hart at physics.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 20 15:39:17 GMT 2003

> Hi,
>
> Reading your email, are u implying that the default user settings are
>updated in the SP3. If this is the case if you have a Default User
>directory under the netlogin share does this mean it will have to
>updated. If this is the case then our highly modified NTUSER.dat will
>need to be updated from SP3 then all the mods will need to be reapplied.
>Is this the case???

I'm not certain, I guess they could be. We did recently apply SP3 (very
recently) and I actually hadn't made the connection.

In our situation, we don't have a Default user directory, everyone has
their own unique login. Also, we have roaming profiles disabled (which is
retained for legacy purposes, i.e., certain members of our staff would
have a cow if they lost their bookmarks/backgrounds ;-) so the profiles
are stored on the client machines.

If you do have a highly modified NTUSER.dat file, then you may need to
have it be recreated... I dont know. Was this an NTUSER.dat file that was
modified by hand? (Not like I can help you further one way or the other,
it's just that I've always been far too squeemish to look much in, let
alone mess with, these files, so I'm curious.)

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart at physics.arizona.edu>