[Samba] Is Samba made for trash ?!?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Feb 20 15:37:39 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Michael Paarmann wrote:

> Yes. And that's what confuse me. Everyone from a Win98 or W2K
> workstation can log in and gets the login script and so on - but Samba
> generates this error message. Can i ignore this ? If yes, it's ok, but
> this messages fill up my logs.

Do you have "security = domain"?  Did you join teh Samba box to the
domain using smbpasswd?  Please supply a copy of your smb.conf.
Send it to me off list if you want.

> In this case:Yes. And the clients crash much more often than before i
> replace the old server based on novell with Samba. The intenstion of
> replacing novell was to stabilize the network. I've checked the hardware
> once again and it's ok. But this messages appears whether the client
> dies or not!

You are dealing with a different network protocol and different network
clients.  It is possible that a misformatted response could cause client
crashes (like explorer.exe or spoolss.exe), but you are going to have to
be more specific here.

I will say that there are no known issues of clients crashing due to
the Samba release.

> Or are 35 workstations and 15 printers too much for one Samba server ?

No.  Samba on apprpriate hardware can handle much more than that :-)

> > > smbd[30829]: [2003/02/11 14:02:15, 0]
> > > rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(206)
> > > smbd[30829]:   api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.
> >
> >Please see the ml archives on this one.  99% chance you can ignore it.
>
> Can i disable this warning ?

Upgrade to 2.2.7a.  You are running and older release.

cheers, jerry