[Samba] pam_unix.so likeauth? (Was: Help with Winbind)

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 14:54:35 GMT 2003

--- Khanh Tran <khanh at slc.edu> wrote:
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so
> likeauth use_first_pass nullok
<snip>
> The only difference from what I had been using was
> the addition of the
> likeauth and nullok options on the pam_unix.so
> library.

Could you help my ignorance?  What does likeauth do
for you?  I'm only using use_first_pass, and I don't
want nullok.

In /usr/share/doc/pam-0.75/txts/pam.txt:
"The likeauth argument makes the module return the
same value when called as a credential setting module
and an authentication module.  This will help libpam
take a sane path through the auth component of your
configuration file."

That wasn't very helpful.

I Googled this option but didn't find anything useful.
 I didn't see an explanation of why you're using it in
this thread, either, unless I just missed it.

So could you explain, in human terms, how this helps
your setup?  (:

Thanks for the education,
/dev/idal