[Samba] pam_mount ( was RE: Help with Winbind )

Aaron Bennett aaron.bennett at olin.edu
Thu Feb 20 14:44:00 GMT 2003

Khanh Tran wrote:
 > Sure, I'll let you know, but could you pass along what you have for
 > pam_mount?  I didn't even start down that path yet.  I'm glad to here I'm
 > not alone though.  Additionally, this may sound really naive, but
what's the
 > point of logging into a domain if you can't get anywhere?

Here's what I have so far with pam_mount:

project homepage:  { the first link on google is broken, use this one
instead }

http://www.flyn.org/#id5426299

from the homepage:

------------------------------

This module is aimed at environments with SMB (Samba or Windows NT) or
NCP (Netware or Mars-NWE) servers that Unix users wish to access
transparently. It facilitates access to private volumes of these types
well. The module also supports mounting home directories using loopback
encrypted filesystems.

     * Every user can access his own volumes
     * The user needs to type the password just once (at login)
     * The mouting process is transparent to the users
     * There is no need to keep the login passwords in any additional file

       The volumes are unmounted upon logout, so it saves system
resources, avoiding the need of listing every every possibly useful
remote volume in /etc/fstab or in an automount/supermount config file.
This is also necessary for securing encrypted filesystems.

Pam_mount "understands" SMB, NCP, and any type of filesystem that can be
mounted using the standard mount command. If someone has a particular
need for a different filesystem, feel free to ask me to include it and
send me patches.

the current version, 0.5.11, on that page doesn't compile for me under
Rhat 8.  However, an older version, 0.5.9, does compile.  However it's
poorly documented and I'm not sure if it works for this stuff.  At any
rate I haven't been able to make it work, yet.  It appears it is or was
part of connectiva linux.

Does anyone else in samba land have any experience with pam_mount?