[Samba] Re: Novell EDirectory as LDAP backend

Stefan Voelkel Stefan.Voelkel at millenux.com
Thu Feb 20 14:02:26 GMT 2003

> Hi,
> is anybody out there who is using Novell Edir. with samba?

Yes, 8.6.3 on a RH 7.3 to be precise.

> I have searched the archive and found some random notes but no real
> success story.

Works pretty good. I have not yet tried to integrate cups but user
authentification (unix login) is done via pam_ldap, i just have some
problems getting password syncronisation running, users can alt-ctrl-del
an change their windows password, but I want to set the user unix
password too.

> The only thing that does not work is to ldapadd or ldif import users
> with objectClass sambaAccount.

sambaAccount is an auxiliary class, i think you do need a real object
class (like user). Take a look with the Schema Manager (ConsoleOne) at
the user class, and the needed attributes (IIRC there are 4).

> Adding posixAccount users and then adding the sambaAccount objectClass
> via Novells "ConsoleOne" works, so I guess this is a edir. specific
> problem which is OT here.

Check out the Novell News Servers, one is at:

	support-forums.novell.com

by
	Stefan