[Samba] domain users in local groups with Winbind/Samba/Redhat

Matthias Rutzki mrutzki at gmx.de
Thu Feb 20 09:51:22 GMT 2003

Hello again,

at the beginning thank you for your support.Today I had the time to test the
various proposals.Finally the "gpasswd thing" works in that way that I can
add any user to local groups.Even domain users...
Unfortunately the group members still can not access the shares.

I have done it in this way:
1. stop smbd & nmbd
2. add "winbind use default domain = yes" to the smb.conf
3. create a testgroup with "groupadd test1"
4. add my domain user (without the domain (domain+)) to this group with
"gpasswd -a rutzki.matthias test1"
5. create a share called testshare with "valid users = @test1" in smb
6. start smbd nmbd
7. logged in domain on a WIN98 System
8. try to access the testshare
9. System asks me for a password.....

So, it seems that the samba does not find my user.Same failure when I add my
user with
"gpasswd -a west3+rutzki.matthias test1" to the local group.
Here is my winbind log:

#access to testshare with "valid users = west3+rutzki.matthias" (this works
perfect):
[ 8690]: getgroups west3+rutzki.matthias
[ 8690]: gid to sid 10250
[ 8690]: gid to sid 11001
[ 8690]: gid to sid 11255
[ 8690]: gid to sid 11257

#access to testshare with "valid users = @test1" or "valid users =
+test1"(ends in password request):
[ 8690]: getgroups west3+rutzki.matthias
[ 8690]: gid to sid 10250
[ 8690]: gid to sid 11001
[ 8690]: gid to sid 11255
[ 8690]: gid to sid 11257
[ 8690]: getgroups west3+rutzki.matthias
[ 8690]: getgroups west3+rutzki.matthias
[ 8690]: getgroups west3+rutzki.matthias...(approx.: 30 times this message)

Has anyone an idea what winbind is doing there? Perhaps you need some other
winbind related configuration data:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

/etc/samba/smb.conf:
security = domain
winbind separator = +
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind cache time = 10
winbind enum users = no #(large domain)
winbind enum groups = no #(large domain)
template shell = /bin/bash
[testshare]
    path = /1
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    browseable = yes
    valid users = @test1
    write list = @test1

/etc/pam.d/system-auth:
auth         required       /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth         sufficient	  /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth         sufficient      /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth
use_first_pass nullok
auth         required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
account    required       /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
password  required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password  sufficient     /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

I hope that will help you.Thank you for your help.

Greetings

Matthias