[Samba] Red Hat 7.1 installation

Rolf Offermanns rolf at offermanns.de
Thu Feb 20 08:40:02 GMT 2003

MarkG wrote:

> One more question (I hope).
> 2 machines (Linux & Win2000)
> Win2000 can ftp Linux without any problem
> Linux can't ftp Win2000 (connection refused
> Win2000 can't ftp Win2000 (connection refused)

There is no ftp server running on your W2K machine(s). FTP != samba.

> Linux shows up in Win2000 browser but won't connect (\\Linux is not
> accessable.  The account is     not authorized to log in from this
> station)  The same thing happens when I try to connect to
> Linux's IP address.

Try a
smbclient -L <your linux hostname> -U Mark

and see if your shares (at least the "Mark" home share should be there
in the default config.) are listed.

Then try to "Connect Network drive" from the windows explorer and use
\\Linux\Mark as share name.

I don't know what the error msg. you mentioned means, sorry.

-Rolf