[Samba] Thoughts for you geniuses

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 20 05:58:27 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 02:00, Robert Adkins II wrote:
> Joel,

> 	The final piece you mention is, from what I know, currently
> impossible under Linux. While Windows 2000 does use a MS modified
> Kerberos system, I understand that it is quite different then the true
> Kerberos standard. To have network-wide authentication, you could look
> at developing an LDAP system, which the MS systems should be able to use
> for authentication.

MS's implementation of kerberos introduced a new 'encryption type', but
other than that, it really isn't anything particularly special.  It
really is just like MIT, with a couple of hacks for NT compatibility
with how NT has historically been organized.  Plus they added the PAC,
which they have now documented.

Running winbindd on your clients and joining the domain will certainly
allow you to log into the workstation with domain passwords.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net