[Samba] Need solution to Printers window access denied, unable to connect message.

Tim Kubricht kubricht at houston.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Feb 20 03:35:23 GMT 2003

Hi,

      I hope this is the right list to submit this request to

      I have the following problem with samba 2.2.2 that I upgraded to
samba 2.2.7 to try to see if the problem
      would go away. But I still have the following problem:

          When I open the Start->Settings->Printers window
          It shows the printers that I have connected to from the samba
print server  printer_name on samba_ip_address
          It shows <opening>  at 1st then changes to <access denied, unable
to connect>
          and never shows the ready message that I used to get from a samba
1.9.15p8 server that I updated.

          * Can someone help me to get rid of the access denied messages
from the Printers window?

      The following is what I have:

             My OS is Solaris 8 my PCs are either WinNT4 or Win2000
             I have set up smb.conf as you can see below
             With it I can use dos to run net view and it works as expected
             I can open Network Neighborhood and find my samba print server
and it will list all the printer shares
             along with the Printers folder. If I double click the Printers
folder:
             I can get a list of all the printers and the number of
documents that are currently being printed on each
             printer and If I double-click on a specific printer I can get
the name of the job and person that is printing
             on the queue.   This works as expected.  I did not see this
error in any of the Archives or the troubleshooting
             section that I found or in any of the 3 books I have.   I need
your expertise in solving this feature.

Thanks,
Tim
    smb.conf:# Samba config file created using SWAT
             # Date: 2003/02/19 10:54:34

             # Global parameters
             [global]
                 workgroup = Name_Of_My_Workgroup
                 server string = Samba %v on %h
                 security = SERVER
                 encrypt passwords = Yes
                 map to guest = Bad User        <-- used and not used this
option
                 password server = #PDC-Address# #BDC-Address#
                 username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/username.map
                 log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.samba
                 max log size = 50
                 printcap name = /etc/samba-printcap
                 os level = 10
                 preferred master = False
                 local master = No
                 domain master = False
                 dns proxy = No
                 wins server = #Primary-WINs-Address#
                 guest account = ftp     <-- local acct & I also tried lp
account
                 hosts allow = ###.###. ###.###. 127.   ###=2 subnets at my
site
                 printing = bsd

             [printers]
                 comment = All Printers
                 path = /var/spool/pc-spool     <-- priv=rwxrwxrwt owner=lp
                 read only = No
                 guest ok = Yes
                 printable = Yes
                 browseable = No