[Samba] pam_smbpass and ldap

rossp at ppc.ucsc.edu rossp at ppc.ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 19 21:44:40 GMT 2003

On a Debian 3.0 system with user accounts stored in openldap, I have
unix and windows auth working just fine through ldap.  smbpasswd can
change the samba passwd attributes, and passwd can change the unix
password attributes.

I'm trying to get pam_smbpass to work to keep everything in sync, but
it only says "Failed to find entry for user test0." which indicates to
me that its looking in the smbpasswd file which has, of course,
nothing.  "ldd /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so" gives libpam and libldap
among other things.

Can someone tell me if pam_smbpass is using the SAM DB API?  If
pam_smbpass is hardwired for the smbpasswd file, that would explain my
troubles.

If it is using the SAM DB API, can anyone give me any direction?

Ross Patterson
Programmer/Analyst
831-459-2792
rossp at ucsc.edu