[Samba] Upgrading from 2.2.3a to 2.2.7a concerns

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.2y.net
Wed Feb 19 17:08:14 GMT 2003

Le 30/01/2003 02:01, « A Cline » <acline27 at hotmail.com> a écrit :

> All:
>
> Before I actually go and take the plunge on performing this upgrade I would
> like to find out if there are any caveats I should be aware of.  I am using
> RedHat 7.3 and have been using the pre-installed Samba since I began
> upgrading our network to Samba about 4 months ago.  I plan on using the
> 2.2.7a rpm from Samba.org and would like to know if any of you have done
> this and whether or not you ran into problems and if so what was the best
> way to go about fixing them.

*** You will probably have dependency problems with the rpm's.

<snip>

> My plan is to run:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init/smb stop
> rpm -e samba-client
> rpm -e samba
> rpm -e samba-common
>
> and then run
>
> rpm -ivh samba-2.2.7a.i386.rpm
> /etc/rc.d/init/smb start

*** Why? What happened to rpm -Uvh samba.rpm?

What you should do, according to me, is sava the samba config dir. Hell, tar
the whole /etc dir to have a backup while you're at it, then do a

    rpm -Uvh --test samba.rpm

to test the update and see if you need libs etc.

Then fix a date and inform your users about the expected downtime. The day
of the update check nobody is connected with smbstatus, do a

    /etc/init.d/smb stop

update samba, untar your samba conf files into /etc, start samba and test
the connection.

If OK mail your users, if KO run very fast and very far... ;-)))

In order to cut down on downtime for your users you should do the update
either at night or week-ends.

> My main concern is with the people who are currently logged into the server.
> Do I need to be sure that everyone is logged out?  Or will they be logged
> out automagically when I shutdown the daemon.

*** See above. I wouldn't shutdown samba without telling your users.

> I am including my smb.conf in hopes that if someone spies something awry
> they will let me know.

<snip>

Cheers,
Zoran.