[Samba] Re: Groups with Samba domain controler or domain member

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 17:59:29 GMT 2003

--- Chris de Vidal <cdevidal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- bgforum2002 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > >Are you using RedHat 8.0?  It's also broken on my
> > >RedHat 8.0 workstation; I think it's because
> there
> > are
> > >so many members of that group and some broken
> > library
> > >in 8.0 can't handle long group memberships.  It's
> > >working perfectly on all of my 7.3 servers.
> > >
> > >A _possible_ workaround is:
> > >getent group | grep 'Domain Users'
> > >(find out what the group id is.  On my system,
> it's
> > >10000).
> > >chgrp 10000 -R some_directory
> > >
> > >I can't test it, it's just a thought.  I'm
> waiting
> > >anxiously for RedHat 8.1, but I'm also
> considering
> > >moving my workstation to Debian.
> > >
> > Well it is Redhat 8.0. So may be it is specific
> > Redhat problem, but not
> > so important for me by now; however it is good if
> > you know everithing
> > works as it should work.
>
> Update: The bug has been fixed in RedHat Rawhide
> (8.1
> beta).  I downloaded glibc-2.3.1-46 and it worked
> for
> me, but it might not work for you, or worse, crash
> hard.  Use at your own risk.

Update again:
glibc-2.3.1-46 _did_ break alot of things.  I
downgraded back to the one that came on the RedHat 8.0
CD.

You could downgrade to RedHat 7.3 (run up2date!) to
fix this problem, or work around it as I described.  I
hadn't tested that workaround, so your only option
could be going back to 7.3.

Good luck,
/dev/idal