[Samba] Samba, rsync and a newbie sorting it out...

mark lists at xinot.net
Wed Feb 19 17:19:12 GMT 2003

On 2003.02.19 16:58 Jon Niehof wrote:

> What I mean is that partial transfers of modified files, one of the
> main advantages of rsync, won't happen--e.g. 2MB file foo has minor
> change. When running rsync entirely on the BSD box, checksums are run
> across the entire 2MB of the local copy, then across the entire 2MB
> of the copy on the windows machine--which involves pulling the entire
> 2MB over.

Thanks for the explanation.  I've never delved farther into rsync than
the man page.  Source code scares me!

> I've been insanely happy with PuTTY; full-featured and completely
> unencumbered license-wise.

I like to use putty where I don't have Admin privleges.  Or where I
know it'll probably be deleted when I leave, but where people might
leave ssh.com's  version on their machine not knowing what it was.

mark