[Samba] explorer.exe crashing at login

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Feb 19 16:34:00 GMT 2003

We're running a network of Windows 2000 SP3 machines with Samba 2.2.7 as
the PDC and roaming profile store.  Certain users logging onto certain
machines will see an error dialogue pop-up saying explorer.exe has
generated errors and will exit.  This keeps popping up and to only
course of action is to ctrl-alt-del and logout.  For most people,
everything works fine.

I've been able to clear it up temporarily my moving the profile
directory out of the way on the server, but the problem can re-occur.

smb.conf:
[global]
     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
;   nt acl support = no

;Run as a PDC
     domain logons = yes
     security = user
     os level = 99

     encrypt passwords = yes
     smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY
     local master = yes
     domain master = yes
     preferred master = yes

     logon script = %U.bat
     logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
     logon drive = H:
     logon home = \\%N\%U
     wins support = yes
     domain admin group = @wheel
     share modes = no

[netlogon]
          comment = Net logon scripts
          path = /var/netlogon
          create mode = 0600
          directory mode = 0700
          writable = no
          guest ok = no
          browsable = no

This seems to have started after I made some changes to our samba
server, and may have lost certain machine trust information, but I'm not
sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

    Orion Poplawski