[Samba] Samba, rsync and a newbie sorting it out...

mark lists at xinot.net
Wed Feb 19 16:32:31 GMT 2003

> The naive might consider sharing out the relevant directories on the
> Windows machine, mounting them on the BSD machine, and then rsyncing
> "locally." Unfortunately that involves pulling all of the files over
> the network and so rsync gains you nothing.

Uh, not quite.  If you use rsync to only copy modified files and not
all files after the first backup then you DO still get some benefit
from rsync.  Also although there is the smb protocol overhead of using
samba, cifs, windows, whatever on the network the only files that are
ever going to be transferred are the ones that need to be transferred.
I'm not sure what you mean by pulling all of the files over the network.

That being said, I do much prefer your solution of using putty and ssh
on the windows machine.  It is much cleaner.  ssh.com's clients could
also be used for this and they are free for home use last time I
looked.  Could be wrong.

Thanks for the url, I'm gonna bookmark it and peruse at my leisure.

mark