[Samba] Thoughts for you geniuses

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Wed Feb 19 15:00:58 GMT 2003

Joel,

	As far as I know, Samba doesn't quite work in the fashion that
you are expecting. However, there are a few things that Samba and
supporting applications will do for you.

	To have something like a "Network Neighborhood", I can only
recommend an application called LinNeighborhood. You should be able to
locate the application by searching either www.freshmeat.net or
www.sourceforge.com. It is a very usable and easy to figure out
application. There are a few things that you will need to do, in order
for it to be accessible to all users on the Linux workstation. Which you
will have to look through the FAQs for, it has been to long since I have
had to make that accessible to all users on a Linux system. I do know
that it has to do with setting the 'suid' bit on one or more files
relating to the application.

	As for your site being able to see the Linux machine in Network
Neighborhood, but being unable to access it from Windows systems. We
would need to see how you have your smb.conf file configured to assist
you in finding out what the deal is. If that is not possible, I am
certain that a working file could be forwarded your way to create a
testing environment to confirm the changes you may need to make.

	There is also one other component that might be missing, as you
hadn't stated what you have completed thus far.

	If you haven't created Samba user accounts, which are separate
yet require existing Linux system accounts, there is no real method to
access the Linux system from a Windows system.

	The final piece you mention is, from what I know, currently
impossible under Linux. While Windows 2000 does use a MS modified
Kerberos system, I understand that it is quite different then the true
Kerberos standard. To have network-wide authentication, you could look
at developing an LDAP system, which the MS systems should be able to use
for authentication.

	Unfortunately, the last part you request an answer on is
something that I haven't had to look at myself. So, the information that
I do have on that is rather limited.

	I hope that the information I have provided you is adequate to
move forward with the tasks you have. Good luck.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.