[Samba] Phasing out windows

Kees Damen kees.damen at bronswerk.nl
Wed Feb 19 12:28:11 GMT 2003

Hi,

If you have Windows 2000 or XP clients than you are
getting into troubles as these clients work better
if you use "encrypted passwords". Samba can't process
an encrypted password and hands it over to a Windows 2000
server for verification. If you don't have them any more
than you must patch the registry in every client to give
a non encrypted password to the Samba server. And the
clients, Win 2k & XP, doesn't like that and give a login
screen every time it wants to connect to a Samba share.
If you have Win 98 clients than you don't have these
problems.

> The company I ma working for us willing to phase out it's windows
> servers.
> We are using Windows 2000 servers for file and print sharing. we also
> have
> an exchange server for our intra & external mails.

Best regards, Kees