[Samba] Re: mapping printers from 2K and XP

Bas Goes b.e.a.goes at student.utwente.nl
Wed Feb 19 09:12:16 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 05:46, samba-request at lists.samba.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:11:34 -0300
> From: "Demian Lessa" <demian at knowhow-online.com.br>
> Subject: [Samba] mapping printers from 2K and XP
> Message: 5

> The only problem I'm having right now is that windows 2K and xp clients
> always display the Samba printer with status = error. Even so, they print
> correctly.
> Any clues?

Have you looked at permission of your spooldir in (default)
/var/spool/samba

WIndows XP en 2000 try to check on the remote spool (on the samba
machine) for status afaik so as long as you're not checking your spool
out as root you can't check status if you doon't have read permission in
the spooldir. If you don't want to set permission you can map the
printer to an lpt port in NT5 or disable spoolss in samba (smb.conf)
afaik, all of this will make NT5 look at the printers through the lanman
protocol (which is the same as the protocol win9x uses) and that uses
local spooling or at least not look at the remote spoolstatus. Please
correct me if I'm wrong anyone :).

Regards
Bas