[Samba] The Big Plunge

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 19 08:29:31 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 08:30, Sorisio,Chris wrote:
> Hola folks,
>
> After a few years of slowly phasing in various Linux and BSD platforms, the
> company I work for is willing to take a hard look at replacing its existing
> Windows NT domain controllers with a Linux/Samba combination.  We only have
> about sixty people in our main office, but most of my experience is with
> smaller deployments.

Look into the 'net rpc samsync' in Samba 3.0.

> I'm not looking for step-by-step instructions, that's obviously my
> responsibility to figure out. ;)
>
> I'm looking for success stories - those of you who have successfully
> migrated a Windows NT domain to Samba, and how you've benefitted from the
> move.
>
> General questions I do have:
>
> 1.  Will a Samba PDC establish trust relationships with NT PDCs?

This is a work in progress.  We don't have the 'winbind on PDC' code in
place at present, so that end requires manual user creation.  Samba 3.0
supports being trusted by NT without any problems (I use it at my site).

> 2.  What anti-virus software exists for Windows clients which will
> automatically grab signature updates from an internal server?
> 3.  Do you mostly use scripts to manage users, or a GUI?

Scripts.  I also use 'GQ' as an LDAP GUI admin tool.

> 4.  Is it LDAP/Samba integration possible?

It's the only way to go.  Our LDAP backend currently doesn't deal with
Groups and Privileges at present, but this is being worked on.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net