[Samba] home directories

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 19 07:58:41 GMT 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Stand H wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to implement home directories for all my users
> on my linux box using only [homes] share. I dont want
> to create 10000 shares for my 10000 users if I have
> 10000 users. When my users log on to his Windows and
> use network neighborhood to browse network I want
> samba to create a share which is that user's home
> directory on linux on the fly. Please help me with
> what should I put in my [homes] share and linux file
> system permission I should set for their home
> directory on linux.

You need to use the pam module pam_mkhomedir.so. You will need to read
your distribution's documentation on that - or do a google search.

> I aslo want to do like I usually do on W$. I have one
> folder called "users". I share it and in users folder
> there are home directories for all users. I only share
> users directory. Any users can open users directory
> and see all other users' home directory but he/she
> cant open other users' home directories. He/She can
> only open his/her directory. Can I do like this on
> Samba? Please give me the example if possible?

Samba is one better here, the [homes] meta-service provides just the
users's home directory.

> One more thing, there seem to be fewer Access Control
> options than Windows, I call it ACL in W$. Is it
> possible to implement ACL for any shares like ACL in
> W$?

Yes, if your kernel and file system have ACLs and samba has been compiled
with ACL support.

- John T.