[Samba] Samba, rsync and a newbie sorting it out...

qk qk at quadkings.com
Wed Feb 19 04:22:12 GMT 2003

All,

I'd like to use rsync as a way to back up Windows devices on a network,
pulling data off of the Windows boxes and putting it onto a Samba share. Is
this even possible? I suspect I either need some sort of rsync
implementation on Windows (ha!) or I need to have Samba know to "reach into"
the boxes and get the info for rsync-ing. Doable? A fool's errand?

The setup:

* In-home LAN consisting of 3-4 PCs running W2K and WXP; one FreeBSD server
running SAMBA.

* No PDC; everyone is on the same workgroup and everyone has equal and
unfettered (no login/password and all can overwrite) access to /storage on
the BSD box via Samba.

Ideal situation: Designated directories on the windows boxes are rsync'd 2-3
times a day during times of low use. Alternate: The whole Windows drive is
rsync'd onto a Samba share on the BSD box, once a day.

Many, many thanks in advance!
QK