FW: [Samba] NT Domain BDC

Ken Innes kinnes at ekos.com
Tue Feb 18 18:38:55 GMT 2003

I'm confused, too . . . in "The Samba Book" by Olaf Borkner-Delcarlo,
 (Suse Press:2001), p.6, the author
states: " . . .  although a Samba server can currently replace a PDC . . .
it
cannot replace a backup domain controller."
then, on p.445, he muddies the issue a little by indicating that
BDC functionality is not yet implemented, but the " . . . BDC extensions are
already available though not documented because the original [Microsoft]
sources are not yet available."
Is this information obsolete? The Samba version the book is based on is
2.0.7,
but I haven't been able to find any documentation that would contradict
this.

The roadmap to samba v3.0 indicates they are working on a migration
from an NT to Samba PDC, which I assume would require replication
of the SAM database, but my understanding is that Microsoft still
considers the SAM proprietary . . . if so, does this mean full PDC/BDC
functionality with promotion/demotion between NT & Samba servers would
conflict with Microsoft patents??

-Ken

Ken Innes
Chief Information Officer