[Samba] Re: Groups with Samba domain controler or domain member

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 16:50:36 GMT 2003

--- bgforum2002 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> >chgrp 'Domain Admins' some_file.txt
> >

> I tried that; it works with Domain Admins and every
> custom created
> group, but not with the built-in groups like Domain
> Users. What could be
> the reason?

Are you using RedHat 8.0?  It's also broken on my
RedHat 8.0 workstation; I think it's because there are
so many members of that group and some broken library
in 8.0 can't handle long group memberships.  It's
working perfectly on all of my 7.3 servers.

A _possible_ workaround is:
getent group | grep 'Domain Users'
(find out what the group id is.  On my system, it's
10000).
chgrp 10000 -R some_directory

I can't test it, it's just a thought.  I'm waiting
anxiously for RedHat 8.1, but I'm also considering
moving my workstation to Debian.

Good luck,
/dev/idal

/dev/idal