[Samba] winbind joining domain problem

Conor O'Reilly coreilly at npr.org
Tue Feb 18 15:32:53 GMT 2003

Over the past Month or so I've been having a hellaciously annoying problem
with Samba and Winbind.

I could joing a domin.  wbinfo -t would tell me I had a good secret but when
I did wbinfo -u it would only give me users from a trusted domain.  From my
own domain I'd just get some hex code.   --- after looking up the hex code
it turns out it stood for NT_STATUS_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND or something like that.

After looking through the list I found a number of suggestions.  wbinfo -A
username%password among them.  I think that fix is only good for trying to
get to an AD when you can't get user lists anonymously.  I could get user
names anonymously and I'm hooking up to an NT 4.0 domain.

And the really annoying this is that I could see all the users from a
trusted domain but not MY domain.  I cannot stress just how annoying that
was.

So I decided to try differant versions on Samba.  I tried 2.2.7, 2.2.8 and
3.0ng  All of them had the exact same problem.

Then I said perhaps it's the PDC.  A logical though 'cause one domain works
and the other doesn't.  With great trepidation I restarted the PDC.  This
did not fix the problem.

Finally I tried the samba 2.2.3 on debain - mainly because it was so easy to
do that with apt-get and it gave me an excuse to learn how to use packages
from differant versions of Debian.

And it worked.  WTF.  Then I put 2.2.3  for RH 7.3 on a RH 8.0 machine and
that worked too.  (the print server is running RH 8.0) Finally I put it on
the print server and now everything is working again.  I suppose I should
try building it from SRPMS but to be honest (and this is embaressing to
admit) I've never actually done that so it'd be a hassel and I have a
horrible feeling I'd get the same error.

OK, except I don't think that deal where you can login with just a useranme
instead of domain/username is implemented and samba isn't putting on the
actual name of the print job just the samba name.  But who cares.

Anyway, I'm just writing this in case somebody is pulling their hair out
like I was.  'Cause God knows I feel sorry for that person.  Also, Is this a
known bug?  Or has something really changed in how you setup the smb.conf
file so that it'd work in 2.2.3 but not in 2.2.7.  I'd really like to go to
a newer version but I need domain logins.

Conor O'Reilly