[Samba] Access to Samba server across subnets

Ken Innes kinnes at ekos.com
Tue Feb 18 15:01:09 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I'm using samba 2.2.7a with winbind on a RedHat 7.3 (pre-installed by Dell)
server,
with an NT PDC/BDC, with the NT PDC acting as the WINS server.

Everything works fine on the local subnet 192.168.0.xxx, but we
also have an IPSec VPN set up with our western call centre,
and users on the western office subnet 192.168.10.xxx can't login to the
samba shares.

They can login to the NT shares fine, and the login script on our
local (192.168.0.) subnet PDC runs fine when users login over the VPN;
they can ping the samba server;
but when they try to connect to the UNC address \\samba_server\sharename
the are asked for a username/password and can't get past that.

The remote workstns are Win98.

No errors are reported by testparm.

   here are the relevant bits of smb.conf:

_________________________________

   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.10. localhost

   security = server

   # Use password server option only with security = server
   # NT PDC and BDC:
      password server = EKOSSRV2 EKOSSRV1

   encrypt passwords = yes
   update encrypted = yes

   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

    pam password change = yes

  obey pam restrictions = yes

  # Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
     remote announce = 192.168.0. 192.168.10.

   local master = no
   domain master = no
   wins server = 192.168.0.2
   dns proxy = no
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes

==============================

# this is the share for the edmonton call centre.
[edmonto$]
   path = /files/edmonton
   public = yes
   only guest = no
   create mode = 0660
   directory mode = 0770
   writable = yes
   printable = no

# this is the share for the Readonly drive share.
[readonly]
   path = /files/readonly
   public = yes
   only guest = no
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
   writable = yes
   printable = no

__________________________

A previous poster (see below) has an almost identical problem
(he is using security = domain, I am using security = server)
but I can find no responses to his post.

I've also seen some other posts indicating problems with jumping
subnets, without posted solutions . . . .

As this seems not to be an entirely unique problem, I'll be sure
to document and post any solutions/results back to the list.

Thank you,
-Ken

Ken Innes
Chief Information Officer