[Samba] logon scripts, shares, and permissions

Demian Lessa demian at knowhow-online.com.br
Tue Feb 18 12:54:47 GMT 2003

Hi,

RedHat 8 and Samba 2.2.7

I'm a little confused on setting user/group/other permissions on my RedHat
box to allow logon scripts to execute, and files to be created/deleted and
even listed/read from their shares. In Windows, it was easy to make all
shares fully accessible and set permissions using NTFS. What is the best way
to set permissions to file system and shares using Linux/Samba?

For now, I ran 'chmod 777 -Rf *' on my netlogon folder to solve a problem of
certain users not executing their logon scripts, and this solved it. But I
think this is overkill... what should be the proper permissions?

Thanks,

Demian