[Samba] 2 Probs: Mangled Case & Briefcase

Rolf Leggewie i.report.all.spamscumbags at expires-2003-02-28.nexgo.de
Tue Feb 18 11:43:09 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a Samba 2.2.3a-6 server running on top of Debian Woody.  There
are two things I still have problems with.

Number one is case mangling.  I have set "mangle case = Yes" in [global]
and left all other options related to case at their default and it works
to some extent.  But for example I cannot rename "whatever.txt" to
"WhatEver.txt".  The way it works is to use an intermediary step
"SomeOtherName.txt".  Since I am new to Samba I am not sure whether this
is a bug in Samba or whether I have not read the documentation carefully
enough.  I'd appreciate a comment from the Pros on whether I should file
this as a bug.  Another problem with case mangling (and a bug as well, I
suppose) is that whenever I do a "File - New - Text Document" on a Samba
share from a Windows client, the file has all upper case whereas when I
do the same thing on the local hard drive it is mixed case.

The second area where I sometimes experience unexpected results is with
the briefcase from the client machines.  I have a directory on the
server which is mirrored locally via the briefcase.  Sometimes I locally
put new files into that directory which are then copied to the server
using the "Update all" function of the briefcase.  This works as
expected.  The strange thing is that when I do "Update All" again next
time, these files show up as modified on the server although I know for
sure that nobody has touched them.  I guess that Samba for some reason
or another might have touched them, possibly as a part of the name/case
mangling.  Can anybody verify this behaviour?

Another issue I have with the briefcase is that of merging files.  The
clients here use Excel 2000.  Whenever both the Excel file on the server
and in the briefcase have changed, an update will suggest to merge the
files.  Upon accepting, I get the error that the file will not be
updated because its merge handler cannot be loaded.  With almighty
Google's help ;-) I found
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q174658 but the
suggested fix with the registry did not do much good.  All it does now
is instead of trying to merge the files is to suggest skippage since
both files have changed.  Has anybody gotten Excel file merges to work
with Samba?  I'd be curious to learn how.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards

Rolf