[Samba] RE: pam_winbind.so - How do I create it?

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 17:36:25 GMT 2003

--- Scott Wrosch <swrosch at MarketingAssociates.com>
wrote:
> That's what I'm trying to do though, is install from
> source.  I know I
> wouldn't be having the problems if I was using the
> RPMs, but I figure I
> gotta learn somehow.  So I decided to try source,
> and this is the only
> thing (so far) that I'm having troubles with.  But,
> that's the file I'm
> looking for.

Hm.  Well if you need it, the RPMs are there, are
current, and I can testify that they work (:  Well,
they work after you create the libnss_winbind.so.2
link:
[supcd at hjx-app-01 supcd]$ ls -l
/lib/libnss_winbind.so*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        16664 01-27 17:26
/lib/libnss_winbind.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 01-28 15:47
/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 -> /lib/libnss_winbind.so

Back to your problem, someone else suggested you go
into your samba-X.X.X/source directory, run make
nsswitch/pam_winbind.so, and then manually copy
nsswitch/pam_winbind.so to /lib/security, then set up
a link to /lib/security/pam_winbind.so in /lib.

I have no pam* files in /lib and it's working:
[supcd at hjx-app-01 supcd]$ ls -l /lib/pam*
ls: /lib/pam*: No such file or directory
It can't hurt to make that link, but try first without
it.

You probably tried all of this already, but please
carefully review your steps.

Good luck,
/dev/idal