[Samba] pam_winbind.so - How do I create it?

Scott Wrosch swrosch at MarketingAssociates.com
Mon Feb 17 16:54:01 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm installing 2.2.7a, or attempting to at any rate.  I've compiled it
from source using the following instructions:
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

Anyways, I've got it set up so that it works.  Now I'm trying to get  to
a point where I can interface it like I have with a different Linux box
that is working without any problems.

When I did the other box, I did a binary distribution, so the file had
apparently already existed.  In following the instructions in the above
link, this command doesn't seem to do anything:

root# make nsswitch/pam_winbind.so

Here's a quick quote from the manual:

"You will need a PAM module to use winbindd with these other services.
This module will be compiled in the ../source/nsswitch directory by
invoking the command

root# make nsswitch/pam_winbind.so

from the ../source directory. The pam_winbind.so file should be copied
to the location of your other pam security modules. On Linux and Solaris
systems, this is the /lib/security directory."

As far as I can tell, I'm doing something wrong, but maybe not.  Can
anyone offer some advise?

Oh, btw, this is a RedHat 7.3 box that I'm trying to get all this
configured on.  Same with the other successful one that I have running.

Thanks!
Scott