[Samba] Novell EDirectory as LDAP backend

Rolf Offermanns rolf.offermanns at gmx.net
Mon Feb 17 14:33:53 GMT 2003

Bruno Gimenes Pereti wrote:
> I spent a long time last year trying to use Edirectory with Samba but I
> didn´t get it working. That file in the tar ball is a translation I did from
> samba.schema to the sintaxe of the ndssch program that is installed with
> Edir 8.6.2 for linux. The SyntaxID error is probably my mistake.

Hi Bruno,
I know it was your file and I forgot to CC: you in my previous mail,
sorry for that.

> I didn´t
> get your file attached and I think you should send it to Jerry to update it
> in the CVS tree.
I will send him the file once I got everthing to work. I guess there
still is a problem with the schema.

> I stopped working with that and now I´m using OpenLDAP but I remember that
> the object "Account" was missing in the rfc2307-usergroup.sch that comes
> with the Edir for linux.

The rfc2307 stuff works without problems. I can add and modify
posixAccounts with the ldapclient tools from openldap.

The problems start when I add a sambaAccount objectClass attribute.

> I suppose the user that you are using in the ldapclient and samba have the
> right privilege to insert and alter information in you Edir. What is the
> messages in you log file?

The priviledges shouldn't be a problem.

I get a "missing mandatory (609)" error, but all required (as in the
schema file) attributes are set. (that is: uid and rid)

A simple test that should work is to export (ldif) a working
sambaAccount  user(set up using consoleone), delete the entry and import
it again, without changing anything.

This should work, shouldn't it? But I get an object class violation,
without any further detail. I also tried various tracing levels
(ndstrace) but got no information about what is causing the problem.

-Rolf