[Samba] No domain server was available to validate your password.

Kurt Weiss input.maillists at kwnet.at
Mon Feb 17 13:56:41 GMT 2003

> You are right, I am using "security = domain" at the
> PDC, isn't it suppose to be?

security = domain means, that your samba looks for an password server in
this domain and uses this authentication.
the password server is written in "password server ="
so samba could not find the password server, and responses an error.
if your samba server is the authentication server, so u have to use
security=user
please the refer the samba HOWTO's

e.g.
http://at.samba.org/samba/docs/
man smb.conf
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf in your samba distribution.

 > Anyway, I have forwarded my smb.conf for your
 > reference. Please comment accordingly. Thanks.

please be not angry - i have to work too. - so i will answer as short as
possile...
please refer the doc's as discripted upwards.

> [global]
> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/smbpasswrd %

*) as i know it sounds like "smbpasswd" not smbpasswrd ;-)
*) as far as i know, u have to use the unix/linux program (as passwd)
for this
next, u do not use password sync (as u wrote below...) - unnessecary.

> 	dns proxy = yes
u have it?????

> 	logon path = \\%N\%U\.profile
> 	encrypt passwords = yes
u use encrypt password:
did u create the unix user and added them with "smbpasswd -a [user]" to
your smb database?

> 	debug level = 3
> 	security = user
this is ok..., but u wrote, that u used "domain"?????

> 	local master = yes
this means: this server is the PDC...

> 	server string = Samba %v on Redhat 8
*attention* firewall - redhat 8's default is to block netbios...

> 	os level = 34
u can increase this to 65, if it's the primary controler.