[Samba] logging by name and ip address in 3.0a21

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 17 11:21:04 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 14:40, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:

> Does anybody else see two sets of logs with
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd.%m ?
>
> i get both logs like
> log.smbd.192.168.0.3
> and
> log.smbd.testpc
>
> when testpc has the ip address 192.168.0.3
> I've tried %M and with no obvious effect

The problem is that when a client first connects to us, we don't have
any details about the client.  Previously, this would not be a problem,
because very shortly thereafter, the client would send it's first packet
- the name exchange.

However, now that we open port 445, we don't get that name and so we can
only use the IP address.  If the logon is via NTLMSSP, we might get the
name later, but if it is kerberos, we would never get another name.

If you set 'hostname lookups = yes' we will use the reverse DNS name for
%m and %M, instead of the IP address.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org