[Samba] Re: domain users in local groups with Winbind/Samba/Redhat

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 19:07:04 GMT 2003

--- David Boynton <david.boynton2 at asu.edu> wrote:
> Well, I got this to work once by manually editing
> the /etc/group file, like
> adding the line:
>
> localgroup:x:<gid>: domain+user1,domain+user2,etc
>
> I don't know if this is a safe thing to do, however.
> :)

I don't believe you can safely manually edit this
file, as you would probably also have to edit
/etc/gshadow to match.  Unix/Linux has a tool called
gpasswd that will do this for you:
gpasswd -a <user> <group>

It lets you add users to a group without them existing
in /etc/passwd (they don't even have to exist at all).
 Combine this with "winbind use default domain = yes"
in smb.conf and you're ready to go.

For example, in the domain ABC for the user john, do
this to add him to a 'local' Unix group called
smbusers:

gpasswd -a john smbusers

With "winbind use default domain = yes" you don't need
to prefix it with your domain.  Slick, huh?  (:

Good luck,
/dev/idal