[Samba] domain users in local groups with Winbind/Samba/Redhat

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Feb 14 18:27:04 GMT 2003

mrutzki at gmx.de wrote:
> Am 14 Feb 2003 um 15:52 hat Buchan Milne geschrieben:
>

>>valid users = @localgroup @'Domain1+group1'
>>

> My experiences with Samba in domains are not very big. So, what does 'Domain1+group1'
> mean?
>
> Domain1 = any Domain in my Network or the Domain which Samba has joined?
> group1    = any group that exists in Domain1?

Remember that there is not really a distinction between domain groups
and local grops on unix. With winbind (assuming you had used + as the
domain seperator), winbind will return groups to the system as
<DOMAIN>+<username> for any domain trusted by the domain winbind is a
member of. The use of the quotes protects the string from being mangled
by samba (especially where there are spaces in the group name).

> But thank you for your answer.It seems that this kind problem is poorly documented...

I have not run winbind in a mutli-domain setup before, but this is
supposed to work.

You should try some experiments with
$ getent passwd
$ getent group
$ wbinfo -g
$ wbinfo -u

to see more. Note that getent is a generic command on unix, and will
show any entries that are accessible (from local files, NIS, ldap,
winbind etc). wbinfo is specific to winbind.

Buchan