[Samba] Re: Winbind: login "cannot find name for group ID XXXXX" ONLY RedHat 8

David Boynton david.boynton2 at asu.edu
Fri Feb 14 16:02:03 GMT 2003

Well I finally had time to look at this and I think I found the problem.  When
glibc passes a buffer to winbind to hold the group membership the buffer is
too small.  fill_grent() in libnss_winbind rightfully returns NSS_TRYAGAIN
and sets errno to ERANGE.  This *should* make glibc realloc the buffer and
try again, but it looks like it never does.

Short version:  I think it's a problem with RedHat 8's glibc and not Samba.
I've submitted a report to Bugzilla as I'm not tinkering with glibc on a
server! :)

Dave