[Samba] domain users in local groups with Winbind/Samba/Redhat

Matthias Rutzki mrutzki at gmx.de
Fri Feb 14 10:37:53 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am running a Samba 2.2.7a on Redhat 7.3 in a NT domain. For authentication
I am using the domainusers.This is done by Winbind 2.2.7a which verifies the
existens of the users on the PDC. So I dont't have to create local users
(/etc/passwd) for users who want to connect to the shares in the smb.conf.
I authorise them by adding valid users = domain+domainuser to the smb.conf.
This works very well.
Now my problem:
By writing valid users = @localgroup or +localgroup
I can authorise local groups (/etc/group) to connect to the shares.
Now I want to add the domainusers to some local groups.Putting the
domainusers in groups should save much time because otherwise I have to add each
domainuser for every share seperatly.
E.g. valid users = domain1+domainuser domain2+domainuser2....
I have tried it with: usermod -g localgroup domain+domainuser
which ends in this message: usermod: domain+domainuser not found /etc/passwd
I know this is message is right because there is no domainuser in
/etc/passwd. But how can I assort the domainusers?
Is there a way to use groups of domainusers who are verified by winbind in
the smb.conf?

Thank you for your efforts.

Greetings

Matthias