[Samba] Problems loading printer list using Samba 2.2.7a with CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 13 22:44:46 GMT 2003

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>

>>Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote on Samba-Digest:

>>>known bug.  The workaround i think is to send a HUP signal to the smbd in
>>>question.  Will be fixed in 3.0.
>>
>>Is it possible to fix this in 2.2.8 too?
>>
>>Please, please consider to fix this also in the next (last?) 2.2.x release.
>

> If you are using an addprinter command in smb.conf, then yes.

I am not using it yet, because Samba didn't recognize new printers anyway.

> But the "printcap cache" wil wait until 3.0 (seeing it it hasn't been
> imlemented yet).

Sorry, I don't understand it -- but I am not a programmer. So we can:
get an updated view for any new file inside an already shared folder
at any time from Samba, we can even creat new file shares and make
them accessible to all clients within seconds -- but we cannot recognize
a new printer that is added to the underlying print system (and gets
added into the printcap) without sending HUP to all running smbd
processes, and to change this behaviour is much more than a bugfix?

A big pity...

> cheers, jerry
>  Hewlett-Packard            ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
>  SAMBA Team                 ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
>  GnuPG Key                  ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
>  "You can never go home again, Oatman, but I guess you can shop there."
>                             --John Cusack - "Grosse Point Blank" (1997)

Cheers,
Kurt