[Samba] Printer and file share discovery howto???

snooker tb snookertb at comcast.net
Thu Feb 13 16:37:57 GMT 2003

Hello,

I need to discover all available hosts and shares, printer and file, on
a mixed windows and Linux network. Windows machines are Win98 and WinXP.
I am using a simple Linksys router with router based DHCP. I can
discover the available shares on the Win98 machines but cannot seem to
get the WinXP machines to show their hostnames and shares.

Can this be done with samba utilities? how? Where can I go to read and
figure it out?

I must add I have been reading and looking for days and I still can't
get it to work. I can get it to work for the win98 machines, but there
is something different with WinXP that doesn't work like Win98.

I am new to samba and linux. sooo please be kind.

Thanks in advance.

bill