[Samba] FoxPro test

lrnobs lrnobs at firstclasssolutions.net
Thu Feb 13 14:16:17 GMT 2003

I want to put a Samba server online under RedHat 7.3 to replace an old Novell server.

Oplocks is turned off.

I ran a test last night with Visual FoxPro code like this:

do while not flock()   && request a file lock
&& try again
endo

get the date and time
insert a record into a shared table
unlock

start over again

I ran this on seven windows pcs simultaneously.

1. The record insertions would allow one pc to insert multiple records, for example 10 in a row before another computer had a chance to do an insertion.  The same test on the Novell server would allow one or two records before it gave another computer a chance for an insertion.

2. After several thousand insertions I had only one pc consuming the time viewable with the top command.  I killed that process but the other pcs still were not doing insertions.  I killed the process on a second pc and then the rest were free to insert records.

How can I make the Samba server distribute time more evenly.  I suspect that allowing one pc so much record insertion time to the exclusion of others created my lock up.

Thanks,

Larry Nobs