[Samba] adding machine to Samba2.2/LDAP domain ?

paul.reilly at tcd.ie pareilly at tcd.ie
Thu Feb 13 03:52:18 GMT 2003

I've setup an Samba2.2/OpenLDAP-2.1.5 PDC as described very well
here:

http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/ldap-smb-2_2-howto.html

I've created a machine account, and a local user account.
Using a Win2k box (signandseal=0) I can browse my domain
and see the SambaPDC. I can login to the PDC shares using
the local user account I created. My problem is the machine
won't add to the domain. I presume I use the Administrator
account for this ? so I've set a password on this account using
ldappasswd -x -D 'cn=root,o=smb,dc=my,dc=com' -w "mysecret" -S
'uid=Administrator,o=smb,dc=my,dc=com' ? Yet whenever I try to
add the test machine to the test domain as Administrator I get:

Unknown Username or Bad Password.

Any ideas what I've missed?
Paul