[Samba] security = server vs domain

bkrusic at yahoo.com bkrusic at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 02:04:51 GMT 2003

Hi,

We covered this, but an interesting problem;

I have a Samba PDC with smbpasswd file

My Samba file server has no smbpasswd file and is set
as;

security = server
password server = foo (netbios name)

I notice that with this config, I've many smbd running
because each authentication keeps the channel open
until its finished with the resource as was stated
earlier this week.

To avoid this, I set the Samba file server as;
 security = domain
password server = FOO (domain name)

Access to the file server pyooks!  Itt was mentioned
earlier that I need an smbpasswd file on the Samba
server if I have a Windows PDC, but is it true if I
have a Samba PDC?

If so, why as this defeats the purpose of centralized
file management if I have to dist the smbpaswd file
from the Samba PDC to each and every Samba file
server.

I am finding Samba unpleasent to say the least ie;
POS!
Bri-