[Samba] Adding Printer Drivers from Windows XP

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 13 00:20:36 GMT 2003

John Mc Quillan wrote on Samba-Digest:

> [Samba] Adding Printer Drivers from Windows XP
> John Mc Quillan john.mcquillan at openjawtech.com
> Tue Feb 11 23:05:32 GMT 2003
>

> I am having trouble trying to add printer drivers from Windows XP.
> I'm running SAMBA 2.2.7a on SUSE 7.2.

Hi, John,

which print system are you using on your SuSE 7.2 ?
Are you on CUPS (could well be since you also have updated the Samba
version to the latest) -- or are you still on LPD?

> As best I can determine, the problem relates to permissions - Windows
> doesn't seem to be able to write the files to the printer driver
> directory on the server.
>
> Yet, I can set up an ordinary file share to that same directory and
> logged on as the same user, I can read and write the directory.
>
> The relevant sections of the conf file are shown below - note the
> 'printx' share which was used to test the ability to write to the
> relevant directories.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> [global]
>             encrypt passwords = Yes
>             logon script = logon.cmd
>             logon drive = F:
>             printer admin = root,john
>             hosts allow = 192.168.2.
>
> [Printers]
> 	path=/tmp
> 	printable=yes
>

> [printx]
>             path = /usr/local/samba/printers
>             write list = root,john
>             read only = Yes
>
> [print$]
>             path = /usr/local/samba/printers
>             write list = root,john
>             read only = Yes
>             printable = Yes

The [print$] share is *not* a printer share! It is a files share,
which contains the printer driver files to be downloaded by the
Windowds clients. It needs to carry the name of "print$", since the
Windows clients are hardcoded to look for this share when they want
to retrieve the drivers.

As such, the share *must not* be labeled as "printable" (other
wise Samba would try to put it up as a printer share. Try to
tag it as "browseable = yes" and remove the "printable =..."
line altogether.

> John Mc Quillan
> +353 (01) 4100681
> http://www.openjawtech.com

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S.: If you are using CUPS, "man cupsaddsmb" tells you how you need
everything to set up your system for "cupsaddsmb -v your_printer_name"
to make the CUPS printer driver ready for download to the clients.