[Samba] Failed to parse ACL smbcacls

Francesc Guasch Ortiz frankie at etsetb.upc.es
Wed Feb 12 19:28:32 GMT 2003

I'm trying to set up a Samba server with ACLS.
Versions:
	- xfs in kernel-2.4.20.
	- samba-2.2.7a compiled with ACL support

I'm trying first with smbcacls. But I can't manage to
guess the syntax of the ACL command.

I want the user "frankie" could RWX a file owned by "javi"

#smbcacls //localhost/public te1st.txt -A ACL:frankie:0/0/RWX -U javi

Failed to parse ACL ACL:frankie

I read carefully the smbcacls man page and searched for
examples in the archives and the web unsuccessfully.

I tried many different things in the SID field with the same results:

DOPAN//frankie   ( DOPAN is the DOMAIN )
DOPAN/frankie
DOPAN\\frankie
DOPAN\\\\frankie
\\\\DOPAN\\frankie

and so on ... with the same results.

Anyway I tried to connect to the share from a W2000.
I can add security options to the file, but won't work.
I tried to set a file read only but I can remove it.

Any hint or link would be appreciated.